Wednesday, September 17, 2008

In the Northland

Driving on the left isn't as hard as I had imagined. Unlike the Bay Area, everything is at least a 30 minute drive through winding country roads.

I have never seen so many cows and sheep in my life..

Winter just ended but the rain is omnipresent.

Kiwis have very different customer service standards. Maybe it's because I'm American but I have never seen servers be so inattentive and even rude. I'm not demanding or high maintenance so excuse me for prefering my latte without germs from the hand you coughed into.

The beaches are so beautiful! I've never seen the Pacific so calm and inviting. It's still cold as hell but much easier to enjoy when the water is a healthy blue, not gross greenish brown. One beach in particular was really awesome because there were hot springs underneath the sand. You could stick your foot underneath and get hit by a wave without shivering. At low tide you can dig yourself a nice pool and just simmer for an hour until the tide comes in.

I'm kind of disappointed that, besides Auckland, everything has been a tiny little cow town which took an hour or two to reach. Although the country side is beautiful and has its enjoyable qualities, there really isn't a whole lot to do when it's not summer.

We'll see how things shape up in the next week. Hopefully, I'll have happier things to write about.

Song of the Moment: "Hatian Love Songs" by CocoRosie

No comments: